In the job market today, many employers require that you have the HELB compliance certificate, sometimes called the HELB clearance certificate.
The good news is that this document is not a headache to many as very few of us have been funded by the HELB in obtaining tertiary education.
By the way, HELB, stands for Higher Education Loans Board, if you look some loans at campus you already know this and you probably visited there offices at anniversary towers more than once.
The bad news is that, after “eating” this money and feeling that you were on top of the world, your sins are finally catching up with you.
You have now bagged that Degree or Diploma and the next thing you are hunting for is a good job and relax you ass out.
But alas, to get your dream job, you need the a HELB compliance certificate! If you are looking for a job with the national government, the devolved units or parastatals, then you are in for a rude shock.
That does not mean that you do not require if you are aiming for the private sector. You definitely need a Helb Compliance certificate.
The HELB Compliance Certificate, otherwise known as a HELB clearance certificate, is usually one of the requirements requested by employers on job applications.
What You Need to Know About HELB Clearance Certificate
The HELB compliance certificate is now a mandatory certificate if you want to get employment or if you eying the political class.
It is one of those documents you will have to produce at an interview and have close to your academics certificates.
We all know that not everyone benefited from the loans from HELB. This does not mean that just you did not benefit, you do not require the document.
You will need the document regardless of whether you benefited from HELB or not. Unlike in the past where you were to visit Huduma centers around the country to have it, today you can know easily download the certificate from the HELB portal and print it at the comfort of your home or office.
You also need to understand that you will need a processing fee of Ksh. 1000.00 to get your hands on the document. This is if you are a beneficiary like I am.
The requirement to have beneficiaries clearing with HELB is a result of thousands of not paying their loans and therefore almost bringing the commission to its knees. Today the commission is struggling with low government funding coupled with thousands of defaulters that cannot be traced.
How To Apply For The HELB Clearance Certificate.
Where you are a beneficiary or not you will need to go to the HELB Portal and create an account. The steps are as follows:
- First, you will need to go to HELB Student Portal and create an account. You will need to do this if you do not have an account. If you already have an account all you need to do is login into your account. You will also have to take this step whether you are a beneficiary or not.
- Once you are logged in and have successfully verified your account, you then need to go to the ‘Student Dashboard.’
- Next, click on the profile to access the services menu. One there fill the necessary information. The field marked compulsory should be filled. Once done, you are ready to move to the next step.
- Now, under the HELB Menu, click to open the “Services” Option. It is here that you will get your HELB clearance certificate. In the list of services if you are following, you can be able to see the Compliance Certificate.
- Then click the “Get Certificate” button to access the service.
- If you are not a beneficiary, the system will confirm this and you will be able to download the certificate.
- If you are a beneficiary, you will be required to pay a processing fee (this is paid via MPESA) and once your books of accounts are clean with HELB, you will be able to download the certificate. Note that it is important to first off all pay all your outstanding loans before applying the Helb clearance certificate.
- Next, once you have downloaded the certificate, the last step is to print the document.
Congratulations, you now have your compliance certificate.
Wrapping It Up
The HELB clearance certificate is a document that you may need at one time during your job-hunting endeavors. Note that the certificate is valid for only one year. Once this time is over, you can go back to your account on HELB portal and print a new one.
If in case you lose the document before the year elapsed, you can always locate the document where you saved it or in the “downloads” on your computer and print it.